Thursday, November 26, 2009

MY DOCUMENTARY SAGA......

My experience while shooting the documentary as well as anchoring the event was just brilliant. In spite of wearing a pair of hot pants and walking around I never even for once heard a lewd comment. People were just so docile and well mannered. I enjoyed every moment when I was on stage and the crowd took me to a different world all together. I just loved being in Karbi Anglong, what a wonderful place it is…

For the first time ever I felt as if I made a big blunder by saying yes to this documentary. There were too many people involved to control the situation. My dealing with Aiyushman was very clear cut. I will produce and direct the documentary and Eastern Beats will buy it from me, and naturally they will have the copyright to it. Miji asked me to give him a budget for the film and I told him the an x amount and he readily agreed to it. BUT Mr. AIYUSH had a major problem with the budget (honestly speaking I have never even though of doing a documentary on such a low cost). Sukanya, Miji, Morningkeey- these 3 people were communicating or rather miscommunication of a completely different tangent was happening. But Mr. Aiyush was nowhere to be seen in the picture. Its like those big banner movies, where you have a big star cast posters and banners being put up, but actually the hero is someone else. (what a pathetic simile…sorry). After 2-3 days of irritation, confusion, THREATENING (Aiyush passed on a message through Sukanya saying he will sue me, if I do the documentary and sell it somewhere) and constant phone calls I finally decided not to do the documentary at all….I AM DONE WITH YOU GUYS HONESTLY. I was emotionally too drained out when I heard Aiyush saying all that. I in a way trusted him, I consider him a special friend in my life. But why is he behaving in such a juvenile manner. Do you guys even know how to produce a documentary, and how much of hard work one has to put in?
Finally after all that emotional drama and saga, we came to this pathetic condition that I will have to use their studio, their editor n all other stuffs and I will be paid by eastern beats for “my not so hard work as a director”. (Till date I failed to understand what is the issue with Aiyushman and what will happen if Miji pays for the documentary, as I was made to understand that he is very much a part of eastern beats)…BUT there is more to the story than meets the eye…..ha ha ha 

Situation A: Have you heard of a absolute software called VELOCITY? Morningkeey asked me to use their studio which does not have FCP. I cant even imagine how miserable documentaries would look without Final Cut Pro. Believe me when I say this FCP can do wonders!!!
Situation B: I had to use their editor, and not my darling creative fellow Hiranya.
Situation C: I am to incorporate some old footage of eastern beats music society formerly known as “rocka rolla” and their activities. And those footages are to be collected by me from one guy who stays way out of Guwahati.
Situation D: I am suppose to finish editing and submit the first cut edit in 2 days time. And it must include the voice over and music.
Situation E: I am all alone coordinating everything. Unfortunately Tina ba was busy with another very important project. BUT people who should be around were just ordering me from else where.

Day in day out I was working at the studio. I finished editing at 4 am in the morning. And believe me I rushed directly to the airport since I had a flight to catch to Mumbai at 6.45 am.
IMPRESSIONS, RECOMMENDATIONS AND LESSONS TO BE LEARNT: I like doing things my way. I may not be an award winning director or a movie producer, but whatever I have produced and directed so far have been good and critically well acclaimed. And I also know the fact pretty well that I am creative enough, otherwise I can not sustain in this industry, and I don’t have to be a shrink to establish that fact through “Passi’s Creativity test” on myself.

Honestly I don’t like too much of interference in my work. However I am not arrogant and I take constructive criticism in a positive manner. But the concept of space is big time lacking in our so called media society I think. So this constant ordering definitely demoralized me and I could not concentrate well

YES most Important lesson I Learnt- KEEP PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS COMPLETELY OUT OF PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS, specially while working with people in Assam.

SPECIAL acknowledgement: Thanks John da for doing the narration and voice over. You have a brilliant voice. Your diction is just so perfect for a voice over.
Rupam-for all the encouragement you provided me while doing my work. Your presence during those 2 days did make a lot of difference.-being there at the studio just to say hi or be it those phone calls to find out how I am doing. Rupam truly you are a darling.
Tina ba-thanks a million for having that faith and confidence on me…mmmmuuuaaahhhh love you tones!
GARY- U R My SOULMATE and I need not say anything more than that.
Mom and dad- thanks for staying awake late for me, to pick me up from the studios. (thanks for funding me as well...mmmuuaaahhh)

p.s-all the characters are real, but however the opinions expressed are subjective and it is subjected change!!!

6 comments:

  1. when u do something with passion, nothing in the world can stop you in moving forward, at least not the small glitches that u have experienced. But believe me, this glitches that u got will take you along way in understanding human and bring forth their talents.. my best wishes with you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks....honestly i just loved Karbi Anglong. and that kept me going and finished the documentary..i hope u will like, because its something very close to my heart...
    keep reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Sreemoyee,I just little bit of read,look over your profile,I`m very much interested to join & work wth your team.I only made two sort-films.if u want to see,i`ll mail my copy of my projct`s dv/vcd.You can watch & can judge over it.I learned also videology & digital-non-linear video editing(F.C.P,PREMEAR-pro1.5),worked as a news-camera-man(PD-170,Betacam) in local channels,producton assistance & Co-producerof sort-film e.t.c.Now working as a fre -lance editr.If you need my help I`ll definitely do it,for a great purpose as you said you r working for homeless poor childs/kids & have-nots.God bless you._raj.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I`m waiting for your kind reply frnd(Sreemoyee).I also want a job in your organigation if possible.I`m always inerested toi work on this kind of social activity.We should work for our poor people,& on our nature& polutions.To save this country we should promote the natural-enviorments,& do something (documentry as a hardcore or as a fiction) onenviornments & polutions.We should promote our soller-energy system and grow our public awarness to use these type of natural resourses.Thankinsa lot to you & your team.My good wishes with you.All d Best.Good-Night._Raja.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep smiling like Mother-Terresa.I`m a die hard fan of her.try to b like her quality.God bless you._raj.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey raja,
    sorry for the delay in reply..been extremlly busy with few new projects. You can mail me your details sreemoyeeraina@siangmmiflicks.com or sreemoyeeraina@gmail.com...our website is under construction and we wil launch it soon. its www.siangmmiflicks.com and you can find me on facebook as well..
    cheers
    looking forward to a fruitful association.

    ReplyDelete